Welcome to the Eighth Annual Wiener 500 Dachshund Dash!
A day of fun to help raise funds for Humane Rescue Alliance!
Race your dogs on our race track - a sixty foot piece of Astroturf - and you could be going home with cash in your pocket.
The event takes place on Saturday, September 21 from 1 to 5:00 p.m.on District Pier at The Wharf. 101 District Square SW, Washington, DC 20024. This is a NEW LOCATION. Click here for directions, parking and Metro info.
Registration will begin at 1:00pm. You will be emailed the night before with your heat number. Dogs will race in heats of up to 8 dogs each, with a semi final and championship race for the winners of each of the heats.
First prize is $100, second place is $75 and third place is $50.
Please note, due to high demand, we do limit capacity to 128 dogs total.
Here are the rules:.
2019 Wiener 500 Dachshund Dash
- All dogs racing must be a Dachshund or Dachshund mix - but PLEASE Dachshund must be the dominant breed and dogs MUST be no more than 12 inches tall at the back of their neck and under 35 pounds.
- All vaccinations must be current.
- All dogs must be on a leash when not involved in a race, unruly dogs will be excused.
- Owners are required to clean up after their dog(s).
- Only dogs running in the current heat called will be allowed in the track area.
- Only two handlers are allowed in the race area per dog. One at the start and one at the finish.
- No food, toys or other pets are allowed in the designated race area.
- Owners cannot throw, push or in any way give the dogs a head start at the beginning of the race.
- Owners cannot throw any object(s) onto the track before, during or after the race.
- Owners cannot run up and down the track during the race.
- Owners cannot reach for the dog at the finish line. The dog must cross the finish line on its own.
- The winning dog will be the first to run COMPLETELY across the track finish line.
- Judges are not professional judges. They will videotape each race to ensure accurate calls have been made. The videos will be taken perpendicular to the finish line.
- This is an event meant only for entertainment and should not result in foul language or play.
- The Wharf reserves the right to use photos for future advertising.
- Must be 21+ with valid ID to consume alcoholic beverages.
- Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
- In the event of rain, entries will still be donated to Humane Rescue Alliance.
- By entering your dog you agree you will not hold the event partners responsible for injury to you or your dog. You understand that dog owners are responsible for their dog(s) at all times and unruly dogs will be excused with no refund. You agree to all rules and regulations above.